TDFresh fear and uncertainty have enveloped several communities in Oyo State following another wave of kidnappings involving staff members of the Cocoa Research Institute of Nigeria (CRIN), school pupils, teachers, and travellers along the busy Idi Ayunre-Ijebu Ode Road.
The disturbing incidents occurred in parts of Oluyole Local Government Area.
They have reignited concerns over the deteriorating security situation in the state and the growing boldness of armed criminal gangs operating within rural and semi-urban communities.
Residents, motorists, and community leaders are now calling for urgent and decisive intervention from both the federal and state governments.
In the meantime, insecurity continues to spread across major roads and educational environments.
Gunmen Invade CRIN, Abduct Two Staff Members
The Oyo State Police Command confirmed that two staff members of the Cocoa Research Institute of Nigeria (CRIN), Idi-Ayunre, were abducted by armed men during an attack on the institution on Monday evening.
According to the Police Public Relations Officer, DSP Ayanlade Olayinka, the incident occurred at about 6:00 p.m.
Heavily armed gunmen had stormed the institute’s premises and forcefully whisked away the victims to an unknown destination.
The police spokesperson disclosed that the distress report was lodged by the institution’s Chief Security Officer at the Idi-Ayunre Divisional Police Headquarters shortly after the attack.
Following the report, security operatives reportedly moved swiftly to the scene for an on-the-spot assessment and immediate rescue operations.
Preliminary investigations revealed that approximately six armed men carried out the operation before escaping into nearby forested areas with the abducted staff members.
School Pupils, Teachers Reportedly Targeted
Earlier reports had also alleged that some pupils and staff members of a school located in Abanla community within Oluyole Local Government Area were kidnapped in another incident.
The development triggered widespread panic among residents and parents who feared that schools in the area might have become fresh targets for criminal groups.
Authorities, however, later disputed reports of a mass abduction.
Meanwhile, many residents insisted that tension remains high across neighbouring communities due to repeated attacks and growing uncertainty over safety.
Community leaders lamented that rural areas in Oyo State have increasingly become vulnerable to attacks by kidnappers and armed gangs.
Those criminals exploit forest routes and weak security presence to carry out operations.
Travellers Ambushed Along Idi Ayunre-Ijebu Ode Road
In another frightening development, suspected terrorists reportedly abducted two travellers along the Idi Ayunre axis of the Ijebu Ode Road.
Sources familiar with the incident disclosed that the victims were travelling towards Ijebu Ode when the attackers suddenly emerged and intercepted their vehicle.
Eyewitnesses said the assailants fired several gunshots indiscriminately to scare away passers-by, nearby residents, and other motorists before carrying out the operation.
One witness described the attack as “military-style,” stating that the gunmen operated with confidence and appeared familiar with the terrain.
“The attackers came out suddenly from the bush and started shooting. Everybody ran for safety.
“Before anyone could react, they had already taken the victims away,” the eyewitness said.
As of the time of filing this report, no contact had reportedly been established with the victims’ families, while no ransom demand had been made public.
Police Launch Massive Rescue Operation
The Commissioner of Police in Oyo State, CP Abimbola Ayodeji Olugbemiga, reacted sharply to the incidents.
Olugbemiga ordered the immediate deployment of tactical and intelligence units, including operatives of the Anti-Kidnapping Squad.
The Police Command stated that coordinated bush-combing and search operations were launched across forest locations and surrounding communities linked to the kidnappers’ movements.
According to the Command, one of the rescue operations conducted on Tuesday morning led to the interception of two suspects identified as Shehu and Abubakar.
During preliminary interrogation, the suspects reportedly volunteered useful information concerning the hideout of the kidnapping syndicate and the location of other gang members.
However, while approaching the suspected hideout, security operatives allegedly came under heavy gunfire from armed men believed to be members of the criminal network.
The police team was said to have responded professionally, successfully repelling the attack and extracting the suspects without casualties.
The two suspects are currently in the custody of the Anti-Kidnapping Squad and are assisting investigators with intelligence gathering and ongoing operations.
Police Debunk Reports of Mass Kidnapping in Ibadan
Meanwhile, the Oyo State Police Command has dismissed reports circulating on social media alleging another mass abduction in Abanla community and parts of Ibadan.
DSP Ayanlade Olayinka described the reports as false, misleading, and capable of creating unnecessary panic among residents.
According to him, aside from the confirmed abduction involving the two CRIN staff members, no other kidnapping case had officially been reported anywhere within Ibadan metropolis and surrounding communities.
The Command cautioned bloggers, media organisations, and social media influencers against publishing unverified security reports.
It warned that inaccurate information could undermine public confidence and distract security agencies from genuine emergencies.
Residents Demand Urgent Government Action
The renewed attacks have sparked fresh calls for stronger security presence across vulnerable communities and highways in Oyo State.
Residents expressed fears that criminal gangs may continue exploiting remote communities and forest corridors unless urgent measures are taken to curb their activities.
Many parents also appealed to authorities to strengthen security around schools and educational institutions to prevent future attacks targeting pupils and teachers.
Security analysts have repeatedly warned about the increasing sophistication of kidnapping syndicates operating across parts of the country, particularly in areas with difficult terrain and limited security coverage.
As rescue efforts continue, residents remain anxious over the safety of the abducted victims and the broader security outlook within the state.













