TD Nigerian President Bola Ahmed Tinubu has formally joined a request by the United States Department of Justice seeking an additional 10 days to comply with a federal court order requiring the release of records relating to longstanding allegations of heroin trafficking and money laundering connected to accounts associated with him.
The development was disclosed by Von Batten, a Washington, D.C.-based Republican lobbying firm, which said it had obtained a copy of a recent court filing submitted on Tinubu’s behalf.
According to the firm, Tinubu joined the DOJ’s request for a 10-day extension only two business days before the filing was disclosed.
The request, however, was rejected by U.S. District Judge Beryl Howell, who ordered that the records be released by August 21, 2026.
The records are being sought in a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) lawsuit brought by Aaron Greenspan, which has reportedly remained before the federal courts for more than three years.
The dispute concerns records held by U.S. federal agencies, including the Department of Justice, Federal Bureau of Investigation and Drug Enforcement Administration, relating to allegations surrounding Tinubu’s activities and U.S. financial accounts in the 1990s.
The lobbying firm said Tinubu’s decision to formally participate in the extension request raised questions about why the Nigerian president would seek additional time before the release of the records.
“We surmise that President Tinubu wants to use any delay to call upon his friends in DC to argue that the release of these files would harm U.S.-Nigeria relations,” the firm stated.
It further alleged that Tinubu could argue that disclosure would affect his ability to cooperate with the United States on counterterrorism and security issues, including efforts to address violence and the killing of Christians in northern Nigeria.
The firm also warned against any attempt by U.S. officials to interfere with the judicial or FOIA process to prevent the records from being released.
“We believe that any U.S. government personnel who improperly attempt to interfere with the judicial or FOIA process on behalf of Nigerian President Tinubu to prevent the lawful release of these records should be exposed and fired,” it said.
The controversy is linked to allegations dating back to the early 1990s, including the 1993 forfeiture of approximately $460,000 connected to accounts associated with Tinubu.
The money was forfeited in a U.S. proceeding involving suspected proceeds of narcotics trafficking.
Tinubu has consistently denied wrongdoing and has previously disputed allegations linking him personally to drug trafficking.
The latest development has nevertheless intensified scrutiny of the pending FOIA case, particularly because the Nigerian president has now reportedly taken a formal position in litigation involving the requested U.S. government records.
The lobbying firm also invoked President Donald Trump’s stated opposition to shielding individuals accused of serious criminal conduct.
It argued that the U.S. government should allow the judicial process to proceed without political interference.
The immediate consequence of Judge Howell’s ruling is that the requested records are expected to be released by August 21, unless further legal action changes the timetable.
The contents of the records remain unknown, and their eventual release could provide additional information about the allegations, the 1990s forfeiture proceedings and how U.S. law-enforcement agencies investigated matters involving Tinubu-linked accounts.
Until the documents are officially released and their contents independently examined, allegations contained in the underlying records should not be treated as established facts.
This Dawn News will continue to monitor the case and report developments surrounding the court-ordered release of the records.












